I personally keep a journal to record my thoughts, my hops, my fears and inspirational quotes. I feel like keeping a blog is idyllic but also a tad bit more time consuming. It's not as easy as turning to a blank page and scribbling. But there's something about the time you put into a product that is to be publically viewed. It requires more thought, reserving the vulnerability of your raw emotions but in a way that is entertaining for the audience. Hah, I've started so many blogs, I had to think of a blog name- something that captured this particular point in time in my life that I want to convey.
Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)Well, up until this point in my life, BEAUTY has been a struggle to be realized and understood. The struggle was at its peak in college where my life and worldview was completely inside out. I had a once-in-a-lifetime experience that made me realize that I have a purpose-driven life and need to live for a cause, greater than myself. My identity as an athlete, as a young woman, a woman of color and as a daughter was stretched and I had a great deal of difficulty trying to develop each area of my life to the point where I wanted to fully express its derision.
More than ever, media had an affect of what I thought was beautiful and my own understanding of beauty. I never thought I was worthy of notice, worthy of being loved nor did I believe in my personal value and worth. Being a woman who is very goal-oriented and achievement based, I thought that my achievements gave me value. (&they did!) But those accomplishments are only worth as much as you value yourself.
Since then, I've been molded and shaped to become the woman I'm made to be. But I won't stop there. I want to communicate to others this same message.
tran·spire (trn-sp
r
)
v. tran·spired, tran·spir·ing, tran·spires1. To become known; come to light.2. Usage Problem To come about; happen or occur.3. To give off vapor containing waste products, as through animal or plant pores.
Slowly but surely, I've learned how to accept who I am as a person of integrity, as a woman of color and someone who has big dreams. It's taken me a while but I can confidently say that "I am beautiful."
I feel like me entering into this pageant has come at the perfect time to mark the end of one chapter and to begin onto the next.
xoxo,Kristen
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Behind the name
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
n-sp
r
)
No comments:
Post a Comment